Oberthur Technologies is the successor of the Oberthur printing which was founded in 1842 by the master printer and lithographer, François Charles Oberthur.
In 1984, Jean-Pierre Savare took over the security printing activity (the two other activities of letterpress and publishing were taken over by other buyers) and founded Oberthur Technologies.
Thanks to the entrepreneurial skills of its General management and the dynamism of its employees, Oberthur Technologies has grown immensely and taken the right technological decisions to become a unique, international, forward-looking group.
Milestones of the Group
- 1842 Foundation of Oberthur printing
- 1984 Jean-Pierre Savare takes over the security printing activity of François-Charles Oberthur Fiduciaire
- 1985 Creation of François-Charles Oberthur Card Systems
- 1990 Acquisition of Banknote of America Corporation
- 1991 Creation of François-Charles Oberthur Chèque et Sécurité
- 1993 Acquisition of Axytrans, France
- 1997 Creation of Oberthur Smart Cards
- 1999 Acquisition of De La Rue Card Systems and creation of Oberthur Card Systems
- 2000 Oberthur Card Systems IPO
- 2001 Opening of a factory in China
- 2001 Acquisition of Logica, Spain
- 2002 Acquisition of Rapsodia, France
- 2004 Opening of a factory in Brazil
- 2005 Acquisition of Africard, SA
- 2006 Opening of a factory in India
- 2007 Acquisition of I’M Technologies, Singapore
- 2007 Creation of Oberthur Technologies
- 2008 Acquisition of XPonCard, Sweden
- 2008 Delisting from the stock exchange
- 2011 Buy out of the Card Systems and Identity Division (current Oberthur Technologies) to Advent International. The Secure Printing Division and Cash Protection are renamed Oberthur Fiduciaire and remained under the Savare family control.
- 2012 Acquisition of MoreMagic, a leading Mobile Money solution provider
- 2012 Acquisition of Cupola Plastic Cards in Dubai, one of the main smart card manufacturer and personalisation services provider for the Middle East